This is a hybrid role, requiring the candidate to (1) take ownership of the accounts payable function of the business and (2) absorb certain functions of the financial accountant.
This person will be responsible for the accounts payable function and the maintenance of a clean, accurate and complete accounts payable / purchase ledger function. They are also responsible for the maintenance of the bank accounts and all disbursements (including travel advances and expense claims).
They are also responsible for maintaining VAT records of the business, including submitting all related documents to SARS. They will also assist in the preparation of the balance sheet and all related reconciliations.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ROLE (EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE)
- Relevant 3-year accounting degree/diploma
- Solid knowledge of general accounting procedures and IFRS
- Proficiency in data entry and management, with excellent Microsoft Excel skills
- 1-3 years accounts payable and general accounting experience
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to meet strict deadlines whilst maintaining accuracy
- Ability to prioritise tasks, manage time efficiently and be flexible with tasks where necessary
- Excellent ability to communicate at all levels
- Ability to build key relationships within the overall Finance function and throughout the business
- Ability to work in a fast paced, time sensitive environment where meeting tight deadlines is critical
- The ability to use own initiative and act independently, making judgment calls where necessary
- Drive and determination – results driven, yet empathetic and able to balance the possible conflicts that may arise from managing changing environments.
- Experience in Balance Sheet Account Preparation
- Detail Oriented & organised.
Accounts Payable / Purchase Ledger
- Processing of matched purchase order and invoice documents to accounting system
- Enforcing the purchase order policy and guidelines
- Ensuring invoices and expenses are correctly coded and authorised
- Review and preparation of bi-weekly supplier payment runs
- Reconciliation of supplier statements
- Liaising with suppliers and ensuring adequate accruals for missing invoices
- Maintain a clean and complete purchase ledger
- Review of supplier aged analysis monthly for balance sheet review
- Preparation of cash disbursements for weekly cash flow forecast
- Establish strong working relationships within the business and with vendors
- Maintain and manage petty cash transactions to ensure that petty cash use and records are maintained in an effective, up to date and accurate manner.
- Verity that transactions comply with financial policies and procedures.
- Reconcile and control staff loan accounts
- Review and process expense reports for payment
- Resolve any purchase order, contract, invoice, or payment discrepancies
- Document and maintain accounts payable procedures
- Assist with the annual audit
- Updating the bank daily (in the accounting system)
- Ensuring the bank is timeously reconciled
- Loading new suppliers onto the banking portal
- Transferring funds between bank accounts as necessary
- Creating and managing payments to suppliers
- Cross referencing payments made to the relevant supplier invoice
- Ensuring that payments made are not duplicated
- Maintenance and reconciliation of petty cash
- Maintenance and reconciliation of expense reports and travel advances
- Submitting monthly VAT201 returns to SARS on efiling
- Reconciling VAT submitted to the revenue each month
- Ensuring invoices meet SARS requirements of a valid VAT invoice
- Assisting with balance sheet reconciliations
- Preparation of monthly balance sheets for review
- Maintaining the fixed asset register
- Assisting the financial manager with ad hoc requests and reporting