We are recruiting a skilled Managing Editor with experience in the Mining sector to provide expert content, leadership, commercial engagement and to guide the Mining Review Africa editorial team. You will be required to supervise writers, editors and supporting editorial staff, as well as write premium content for our publication and media site. You will also contribute insights, suggestions and add value to the conference programmes drafted across the mining portfolio.
This role is suitable to a driven individual who has recognised and demonstratable editorial skills and wide-ranging mining industry relationships. The managing editor of MRA is more than a writer, they are the face of the brand and will conduct themselves accordingly. Attending press launches, onsite invitations, events and conferences. We deliver content across multiple media formats, including print, digital, webinars, video interviews, podcasts, and the editor will be expected to be experienced and comfortable in all formats.
Engaging with advertisers and co-creating media campaigns is a creative requirement of the Editor alongside the advertising account manager.
Collaboration with the conference and exhibition team to produce world-class conference programmes, identifying the best speakers and supporting to recruit is a responsibility recognised across the mining portfolio.
You will learn a lot, be challenged constantly to create, evolve and drive opportunities. We will support you in delivering a news asset for the today’s mining industry professional. You will aspire to be the best media title in the market. You will own the brand and take the brand on the next chapter of its evolution and journey.
- B.Sc or BA in Journalism or relevant field
- 5 years’ experience in senior editorial role
- MUST have experience in the Mining industry with existing relationships with mining houses and services providers.
- Proficiency in English with exceptional skills in copywriting and editing
- Working knowledge of online platforms like WordPress and SEO concepts
- Proven successful team management
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Decisiveness & Accountability
- Be a representative of the publication and brand
- Trust in their team to perform
- Ensure effective communication between the Johannesburg and Cape Town team
- Writing and generating expert content
- Planning and managing all daily editorial functions
- Hiring, coaching and managing editorial personnel
- Collaborate with & guide junior and assistant editors to determine issues’ content and topics
- Coordinate editorial publications and meetings
- Create and manage detailed content schedules
- Plan and approve assignments for writers and editors
- Oversee proofreading procedures and edit copy when necessary
- Assist in evaluating finalised copy for compliance with policies, style and tone
- Resolve problems and provide solutions to obstacles as they arise
- Attend events on behalf of the company – overseas travel may be required
- Work with sales team to support client relationships by joining in-person meetings with clients upon request, drive sales and ensure proper delivery of client campaigns in conjunction with marketing by assisting with sales content & videos
- Budget planning and contribute towards departmental budget management
- Provide leadership to the MRA team and hold them accountable
- Monitor and optimise performance to meet traffic, engagement and growth targets
- Implement best practices, workflows, tools and templates to maximise the efficiency and effectiveness of the publishing process
- Valid passport with ability and willingness to travel locally and internationally occasionally